Protect your home this Summer.
Discover how sagic's summer home protection: tips for security and safety guide can help protect your home during the coming months. With unpredictable British summers, it's essential to be prepared. Sagic provides valuable tips to ensure your property stays protected and you can relax worry-free throughout the summer.
Preparation for Summer:
- Install a Programmable Thermostat: Boost energy efficiency by scheduling your heating based on your daily routine. Keep your home cool during hot days and cosy at night with a programmable thermostat.
- Watch for Subsidence Signs: Vigilantly look for diagonal cracks around windows and doors or wallpaper crinkling during warmer weather, as it may indicate subsidence. If concerned, contact a surveyor for an inspection.
- Proper Attic Insulation: Stay comfortable in summer by insulating your attic, reducing heat transfer from the roof into your home. Sagic recommends consulting professionals for optimal energy efficiency.
- Maintain Roof Health: Prevent summer damage by checking for wear and tear on your roof. Look for signs like sagging, water rings, and sun shining through your attic. Professionals can assess exterior damages like missing tiles or shingles.
- Clean Gutters: Clear leaves and debris from gutters to ensure proper drainage during rainstorms. Repair cracked or rusted areas promptly to avoid water-related issues.
- Check Seals on Windows and Doors: Weather-stripping can minimize energy loss and water ingress, keeping your home cooler during hot days.
- Trim Trees: Keep your garden tidy by having professionals remove dead branches from trees to prevent damage during storms.
Summer home safety:
- Lock Windows: Avoid leaving accessible windows open at night, reducing vulnerability to theft. Always lock up when sunbathing in your garden.
- BBQ Safety: Follow UK Fire Services Resources guidelines to ensure safe barbecuing, avoiding accidents and fire hazards.
- Secure Valuables: Keep valuables out of sight and reach from windows and doors to deter unwanted attention. Lock away garden equipment when not in use.
- Install a Home Alarm: Invest in a home alarm system for immediate break-in alerts and as a visual deterrent against potential burglars.
Securing your home while away:
- Check Locks: Ensure all windows and doors have reliable locks, making your home secure before vacation.
- Neighbourhood Watch: Rely on trusted neighbours to keep an eye on your property while you're away. They can help with bin collection, mail pickup, and general observation.
- Create a Lived-in Look: Prevent burglars by cancelling deliveries and using timer switches for lights and TV to create the illusion of an occupied home.
- Be Cautious on social media: Avoid sharing holiday plans online to prevent potential targeting by burglars.
- Emergency Contacts: Compile a list of emergency contacts for your home and share a copy with a neighbour for added peace of mind.
From unexpected weather-related damage to potential accidents that can occur during your summer adventures, our home insurance is designed to provide you with the support you need. Add to this sagic's 'Summer Home Protection: Tips for Security and Safety', you can confidently enjoy the Great British summer, knowing your home is both protected and secure.